What's the deal?
Proverbs 26:2 tells us, "the curse causeless shall not come". Now far be it from me to accuse any of you of harboring "some secret sin" when your life is upside down and you need answers. My plan here is to give you a checklist to pray over, and ask the LORD to show you the cause of the curse.
- The most obvious- and least likely- is open unconfessed sin. Faithful believers really can't go long without conscience buzzing our ears. It can happen: think David & Bathsheba- but it's the exception, not the rule.Probably not your problem.
- How about disobedience? I don't mean willful disobedience, but maybe you got too busy, or you forgot, or weren't really sure it was God talking to you in the first place. It's happened to me- you think it's your own daydream, don't realize it truly is a vision inspired by the Holy Spirit. Remember how Moses almost died, because he hadn't circumcised his kids? Ask God to remind you-then do it!
- Our associations can bring trouble. "Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers" is sound advice! We can't always pick who we work with. I have a friend in law who also got involved with politics. Many judges and politicians are deeply into Freemasonry; being around them can expose you to their demons! Short of quitting your job, what can you do? Pray for their salvation & deliverance.
- The cursed thing. Remember how Achan brought spoils into his home? It ruined his whole family! Now you may not go out & buy something accursed, but someone may give you an item, and you accept it to be nice Some items are charged: it may be nothing to you, but to another it's a talisman or charm. Book, decoration, album....could be a conduit for evil forces, a very lightning rod!
- Last one, and easiest to fall into, is unforgiveness. Problem is, it's a passive sin, not an active one. We all know the parable of the servant who was forgiven but wouldn't forgive. It opens us up to spiritual assault!