Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Loaded Cross

   Years back, I was visiting a church, and the Pastor was giving a sermon tiled, "The Empty Cross".  He was going on about how mainline churches depict a crucifix with Christ nailed to it, and how they oughtn't do that since He isn't there any more. OK, point taken. But if your cross is empty, I feel sorry for you: because mine is full! It's loaded! With what? Glad you asked!
   First off, I'm on it! I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ Who lives in me" according to Galatians 2:20. My flesh and its lusts are nailed there: Galatians 5:24. The world and its ways are condemned there to me, Galatians 6:14.
   It gets better! All my sins are tacked up there: "...having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us and took it out of the way,nailing it to His cross!" Colossians 2:13-14. The Old Testament legal requirements are also there; I don't have to be concerned with crossing my t's and dotting my i's to please God!
   Hallelujah! Know what else is on that old, rugged cross? ALL MY SICKNESSES AND DISEASES!
"Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed!" Isaiash 53:4-5, as if you didn't know!
   I might just start preachin'! There's one more tihng on that ol' cross. An ugly, stinking horrible thing: MY PAST. All my failures, mistakes, disobediences, foolishness, and faults of any kind are posted there for it is written, "IF any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away, behold all things are become new and all things are of God"! 2 Corinthians 5:17
   So you see my friends, I don't have an empty cross. My Saviour isn't there, but everything He saved me from IS! Grace, peace, and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment